Pages

Monday 2 September 2019

Too much shredded paper!

Our school had a problem...
Too much shredded paper.

We began using the shredded paper in our worm farm and compost bins.. but there was still too much. Unfortunately, shredding paper was something that we could not stop. This is because documents with private information had to be thrown out in a specific way.

We thought about a good way to use the shredded paper. Paper mache? Art? Sculpture?

Then Mr Norman, our principal, gave us some strange looking things. They were heavy and clunky... What on earth were they?!

The Year 6 students in Rūma Rima had no idea what they were. Some thought they were juicers... some thought they were used to squeeze things.

We watched a video about these gadgets.. and found out they were used to make paper logs, or briquettes. The briquettes could be used like firewood and would burn a lot slower than just shredded paper!

The first thing we needed to do was soak the shredded paper in water for about 3-5 days.


Then we had to load the briquette maker with this soaked, shredded paper.


We then used the handles to squeeze out the excess water. This was difficult as some of us had to stand on the handles to get all the water out!


The briquette then was taken out of the mould and put in a tray to dry.

   

Unfortunately, when we went to test if they had dried solid, we found that they'd all fallen apart!


We discussed why this might have happened and also got some advice from our wise caretaker, Henk.
He suggested we add some newspaper or something similar to the white shredded paper. We were also advised to mix the soaking paper every day so that the paper would break down.
There were leftover Scholastic magazines that we also shredded and added to the soaking bins.

Keep watching this space to see how we go next week. Fingers crossed it works!


11 comments:

  1. Hello Ruma Rima! I am Sam from Yaldhurst Model School,

    This is amazing! I think that it is really creative of you to put paper in your worm farm. I used to not know that paper could go in compost and all that, in fact, Paper can also go into recycling. When I saw the images of the compressed paper, it reminded me of when my classmates and I took a trip to the recycling dump and saw all of this compressed recycling shaped into a cube. When do you think that the shredded paper will dry?

    Happy Blogging!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. kia ora my name is Connor I like the way you had the coolest mishin. did you make thing with thim? why did you do this? from connor

    ReplyDelete
  3. kia ora my name is Delilah I like the way you had the coolest mishin. did you make thing with thim? why did you do this? from Delilah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia Ora, I am Zac kfrom Yaldhurst Model School.


    I really like this blog post because you have used lots of pictures and LOTSSSSSSSSSS of words I really like this because it means that you guys have put in lots of time and work into your blog post, This is really good to see make sure you guys keep up the great work (Word wise). I enjoyed reading this blog post It brought me back to when I got in trouble for printing 999 pages in the printer. I thin it is really creative how you put shredded paper in your worm farm!! Now that is thinking outside box.

    I think you could improve on putting all of your pictures on one big doc so its not like a toilet roll!

    This is really good because you have used lots of pictures and made it look creative.

    What made you think of this?
    Can you reply to my comment?

    Bye bloggers Zack from Yaldhurst! Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia ora Ruma Rima, I´m Thom from Yaldhurst Model School.
    This is a great way to get rid of the shredded paper that you can´t stop making because of all the private info. Also it is great you got rid of the shredded paper because if you hadn't and it had blown away or something it would have made pollution even worst and that would be terrible.

    This looks like a really fun activity to do but also looks like it took a lot of hard work and a long process.
    Did you get to burn it at the end? Was it super duper fun doing this?
    I also love how you have put the process in pictures incase people didn't get what you were saying with the steps.

    I think next time you should add a photo of what you did at the end or a picture of it in the fire. It is great you are showing examples of how to get rid of rubbish so that people can do that instead of just leaving it, Because that just makes pollution worst.

    Awesome work, Looks like you had a lot of fun.
    From Thom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thom, Thank you very much for commenting on our class blog. I really like how you like about us getting rid of shredded paper so it helps pollution that it won't get worst.

      We didn't get it burnt at the end but our teacher did gave some to one of us in the class to take home to test. It was super fun but I didn't really get to make some briquettes because I was away but I bet that it was fun.
      Thank you again and hope that you keep commenting on our class and individual blogs.

      Delete
  6. Hello Ruma Rima,
    My name is Rhys I am a year six at Yaldhurst Model School.
    This is really good, I think that it is creative of you to put paper in your worm farm. Now that I see it, it reminds me of when I went to a work farm at the school I went to before I came to Yaldhurst. Did you know paper can also go into recycling. When I saw the images of the compressed paper. it reminded me of when the kids in my class and I took a trip to the recycling dump and saw all of this compressed recycling shaped into a cube with bars to hold it as a second layer. When do you think that the shredded paper will dry?

    Kind regards
    Rhys

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day ruma rima It Hasan from YMS I liked your blog post about Shredding paper. It was so cool and the machine you used to shred the paper looked cool.

    When you shredded the paper did it make you feel clm or something i like you to reply to this comment.

    Next time you could show us the paper and why you shredded paper.

    What inspired you to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow greer that's really cool oh hi my name is Ashlee and I am a year six at Yaldhurst Model School.
    I like the way you showed all of the paper shavings.
    good job
    when did you do this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Rūma Rima,
    I am Alan from yaldhurst model school.

    Great blog post.When did you do this blog post?

    I liked the part when you tried again instead of giving up.If you want to improve why not take a photo of you trying it again.
    Kind regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Something helpful - add more info or ask me a question.
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.